The joys of a semi-modular design. Yes, I change my DJ booth set up more than I change records on turntables, yes I do actually think it is an addiction. However, my pain is potentially and hopefully your gain as you can see the evolution and solutions to changing equipment and needs.
I am in the process of writing my largest article yet which documents all the setups over the last 3 years, of which there have been many. But for now, I thought I’d share a tweak(ish) to the current setup to reduce the amount of equipment and focus on accessible storage of my ever-expanding 45s collection.
So, the mission was to get the high rotation 45s next to the turntables for quick and easy access. I’ve put a lot of time into organising this part of my collection over the past few weeks, so to have them up front and center should be the crowning glory.
A pretty simple build consisting of a sheet and a half of 8’x4′ 18mm MDF. I decided on building two identical triple bins, one to either side of the decks and mixer to keep my un-diagnosed OCD in check. The build consisted of two bases, four sides and eight dividers. Then, with the new configuration, I needed to fill in the blanks for the entire desk.
The result is a nice and tidy one I think. The little amendment build only took a couple of hours (before paint) and around £30.
For those of you who have seen the various iterations of the current booth build you will know I chose to go for a distressed finish. There were many reasons for this including, but not limited to, ease of application and the fact I could bash it about without detriment to the finish. For those that wish to know how I did it, here goes:
Step 1 – quick undercoat in this case some red matt emulsion I had knocking around in the shed.
Step 2 – painted the edges of all parts in a teal green that was also going spare.
Step 3 – for the topcoat (only one needed) I used quick-drying black satinwood.
Note: all coats applied using a foam roller.
Step 4 – once thoroughly dry I took my electric orbital sander with a fairly fine 120 grit sander disc. Note: best to use an old worn-out sheet if you have one. Even 120 can be too abrasive, so take care. Give it a light sanding all over with a little more aggression on the edges and where natural wear and tear would occur. Do this to taste as you start to see the reds and greens seep through.
Step 5 – once the desired amount of wear has been achieved, use a damp rag to remove dust before using furniture polish and a rag to achieve a nice flat and subtle sheen.
For the inside of the bins, I left raw MDF and used teak oil to seal, applied with an old rag.
Trackback URL: https://www.waxwrx.com/small-records-big-storage/trackback/