Well, I’ve started something here, haven’t I! This diary will be a day to day journey of a music nut and equipment addict…me! I’ve been tinkering with and trying out new kit, setups, ways of performing and ways of storing and displaying DJ and production kit for as long as I can remember.
The aim of this is to demonstrate what a dysfunctional music journey looks like. Hopefully, along the way, you’ll learn a little, possibly be inspired, see how not to waste your money by learning from my mistakes. Also, decide whether my Jack of all trades way might just potentially not be such a bad way…or maybe specialise=ing is the way forward? Who knows, but hopefully you’ll join me on the journey.
Day 1 (Actually Day 11160 to be precise)
Today was quite an interesting day. I’d recently picked up an Allen & Heath Zed24 Mixing desk from eBay second hand (mistake). I already had a few Soundcraft mixing desks knocking around but all were fewer channels and didn’t really fit the bill. I’m on a bit of a journey at the moment to mix and present music in a different way to others. If you know me personally you’ll be aware I am a 99% vinyl DJ and collector but I have a pretty big itch that needs scratching in the form of Hybrid DJing which will include a combination of synths, sound modules, and drum machines. The aim is to keep it analog and definitely no computer, often referred to as a DAWless (Digital Audio Workstation) setup so many channels are required.
Anyway back to the mistake. I knew there was a slight issue with crackling on the master fader but I didn’t expect the torrent of issues I faced. Long story short I decided to accept a partial refund and see if I could get it repaired. That wholesome idea lasted about 3 hours, then I was on Juno ordering a new one. That was yesterday and as usual, the new item arrived today in a timely manner. So happy days that part of the puzzle is now sorted and my confidence in this part of the system now restored.
Also arrived today was a little bit of kit that has always intrigued me. A SoundBite Looper/BPM thingy. After an initial hiccup with power supplies, I got it working, and what a clever and accurate little machine this is. Going to be a great asset to the overall setup once I decide exactly where in the setup I will employ it.
Apart from the arrivals of new toys I had a little play on the system so far that comprises of the following:
- Vermona DRM1 mk3 analog drum machine (what a bit of kit this is!)
- Korg Minilogue XD synth (equally awesome and versatile, great sequencer and sound)
- Korg VolcaFM (I’ve been learning the capabilities of this tiny beast – so impressed)
- RC Circuit Bent Andromeda Sound Module (Chernobyl in a box lol)
- Atlantic Delay/reverb pedal (cheap like the budgie – but good)
- TC Electronics M100 effects module (good enough for now)
- Mic hooked up for live percussion.
- 3x Technics SL1200 Mk2 turntables (might replace with RedBull edition Mk7s – don’t hate, they’re cool)
- Bozak AR4 or Bozak AP2 or Omnitronic TRM202 or Urei 1601e (whilst I await the return of the Bozak AR6/EQ6
- Bozak ISOx (awesome 4 pole isolator)
- Dorough 40a VU meters
The synth stuff all feeds into the Allen & Heath ZED24, then out of there into a single channel on the Bozak rotary. Then the three turntables obviously have a channel each on the Bozak. Then off to the Yamaha HS sub then off to the Yamaha HS7 monitors, Bobs your uncle… that is the current setup.
Items on the radar:
- SSL SIX desktop mixer (which the Bozak will go into before off to the speakers and interface for streaming etc.)
- SSL 2 audio interface
- More effects units
- A filter unit
- New speaker setup (I tried the QSC CP8 but wasn’t impressed. The more expensive ones are better I think so they are sold)
So that’s it for Day 1. Let’s see what tomorrow brings. Some SSL bits and records I hope. See you tomorrow and bravo for sticking with this dribble to the end of Day 1. Obviously, feel free to comment or ask questions as that is what this is all about my friends!